CBD and Knee Pain:
How CBD Can Provide Relief
CBD — short for cannabidiol — is one of the primary active compounds of the cannabis plant. It does not produce a euphoric ‘high’ like some other cannabis components and is completely safe for users of all ages. Several animal studies conducted in the last decade provide compelling evidence for the pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties of CBD.
So far, human research on the topic has been limited by the legal restrictions on CBD use. But as cannabis becomes legal in more and more states, the research on its therapeutic effects is gaining momentum. A 2021 study by researchers at Syracuse University offers promising results for the strong pain-relieving (analgesic) qualities of CBD.
Notably, CBD and knee pain have been studied together for years. We now have strong anecdotal evidence supporting the validity of CBD for pain management.
How Does CBD Provide Relief for Knee Pain?
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in the body, which plays a regulatory role in the functioning of the brain, endocrine system, and immune responses. Activation of ECS receptors is thought to have significant pain-relieving effects. It reduces inflammation in the tissues and also reduces the perceived intensity of the pain. Therefore, CBD provides a safe and effective way to manage or even eliminate knee pain. As it directly impacts the ECS system, CBD offers a valuable treatment strategy for both acute and chronic pain.
What Are the Types of CBD Products to Consider?
There are many different ways to take CBD for knee pain. The effective dosage for each method depends on both the intensity of the pain and personal tolerance levels. Generally, CBD for joint pain is taken either orally or topically. The products mainly differ in their time of effect, concentration of CBD, and target area selection.
- Oils: CBD oil can be extracted from different species of cannabis plants. Most oils used in products are derived from industrial hemp, which has a higher concentration of CBD as compared to marijuana. Multiple methods of extraction can be used to isolate CBD from the plant. The raw, potent CBD extract is then added to therapeutic oils to create CBD oils of varying strengths.
- Gummies: Gummies are the most popular way to take CBD for long-term pain management. The gummies are CBD-infused candies that offer a discrete (and fun!) way to take CBD throughout the day. They are available in a range of shapes, colors, flavors, and concentrations of CBD.
- Oral capsules or pills: They are designed to deliver CBD to the body through the digestive system. Some pills may also have additional ingredients that complement the effects of CBD. Capsules are a convenient way to take CBD and offer comprehensive pain relief.
- Balms, creams, and lotions: These are topical ointments or salves meant to be used directly on the affected area. A CBD balm usually contains shea butter or beeswax and offers targeted action at the site of application. A CBD lotion for knee pain generally contains small amounts of water for easy spreading and absorption.
- Topical patches: These are CBD-containing transdermal patches that reduce inflammation in specific areas of the body. Patches gradually release CBD into the bloodstream through absorption into the skin. They can remain in contact with the skin for up to 36 hours, providing a steady release and long-lasting pain relief.
How Do Muscle MX Products Help?
Muscle MX offers high-end CBD products for knee pain — at a moderate price. Each of our products is thoroughly tested for purity and potency. We choose only the best hemp plants for CBD extraction and conduct extensive tests for solvents, pesticides, and heavy metals. Our range of convenient and effective products is approved by a third-party ISO-certified laboratory and offers the highest quality CBD for joint pain.
The Activate and Recovery balms are our bestselling products for robust pain management. They are composed of all-natural ingredients sourced exclusively from non-GMO farms. They are completely free of THC and therefore safe for use by all ages.
The Activate Balm is one of our most popular CBD topicals for knee pain. It provides advanced heated relief and penetrates deep into the muscles for long-lasting pain relief. It stimulates blood flow into the target area and directly targets pain and inflammation. The Activate balm is fast-acting and ideal for use before dynamic physical activities. The Activate+ Heating Balm is an all-new extra-strength CBD salve for greater impact and mobility. It contains premium camphor and caffeine oil to get the blood pumping and generates a healing warmth in the muscles.
While Activate energizes the sensitive spots with heat, The Recovery balm cools the impacted muscles with a soothing sensation. The Recovery Balm is one of our top-selling products offering ultra-cooling relief with deep penetration. It reduces the ache from sore joints and tendons and is ideal for winding down after physical training and exercise. It is the perfect application of CBD for runner’s knee and provides consistent and even relief.
The Recovery+ Cooling Balm is our extra-strong formulation for managing deeply rooted, steady pain. The combination of CBD, tea tree, eucalyptus, and menthol extracts offers both short and long-term relief. It is also an excellent way to use CBD on arthritic knees.
What is more, we offer a range of high-quality CBD gummies packed with active ingredients. The Energy Gummies contain Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, and caffeine from green coffee to boost focus and energy while ensuring constant pain relief. The Relax Gummies naturally promote relaxation and tranquility with the goodness of ashwagandha and a natural berry flavor. It acts as a perfect sleeping aid and offers steady relief from pain throughout the night.
We also offer a selection of full-spectrum CBD oil for knee pain that strengthens everyday wellness. It contains 0.3% THC and relieves anxiety, depression, stress, and insomnia in addition to acute and chronic pain. The drops are available in Berry, Coffee, and Natural flavors and mix very well with different foods and drinks. These drops are a great way to use CBD as part of a daily routine.
– De Vita, M. J., Maisto, S. A., Gilmour, C. E., McGuire, L., Tarvin, E., & Moskal, D. (2021). The effects of cannabidiol and analgesic expectancies on experimental pain reactivity in healthy adults: A balanced placebo design trial. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/pha0000465
– Anthony A, Rahmat S, Sangle P, et al. (September 14, 2020) Cannabinoid Receptors and Their Relationship With Chronic Pain: A Narrative Review. Cureus 12(9): e10436. doi:10.7759/cureus.10436
– Arthritis.org. n.d. CBD for Arthritis Pain: What You Should Know. [online] Available at: < https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/managing-pain/pain-relief-solutions/cbd-for-arthritis-pain> [Accessed 9 August 2021].
– Shmerling, R., 2020. Does CBD help with arthritis pain?. [online] Harvard Health. Available at: < https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/does-cbd-help-with-arthritis-pain-2020041019418> [Accessed 9 August 2021].