CBD for Chiropractors: A Guideline for Rules, Products, and Benefits
For those dealing with chronic back, neck, or shoulder pain, finding a good chiropractor can be life-changing. But what is a chiropractor, and what sorts of pain-relieving therapies do they perform?
A chiropractor is a healthcare professional that specializes in spinal health. They perform manual spinal adjustments and use other therapies to treat, protect, and preserve the spine. Adjustments can help alleviate pain in the back, neck, shoulders, joints, head, and more. In essence, chiropractors aim to improve a patient’s quality of life without the use of invasive procedures or prescription medications.
CBD use as an alternative treatment to conventional medication is on the rise, and its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties could suggest that it might go well with chiropractic care. So this begs the question: do chiropractors use CBD oil? Also, can chiropractors sell CBD products?
What Is CBD, and Is It Legal in My State?
CBD (cannabidiol) is one of the main cannabinoids in hemp and cannabis plants. It’s second only to THC, which you may know as the primary psychoactive compound in cannabis. CBD, however, doesn’t have mind-altering effects. In fact, many people use it to alleviate anxiety and promote relaxation.
The legality of CBD depends on its source. When extracted from cannabis, it’s only legal in states that permit using the plant, and products made using it, for medical and recreational use. CBD from hemp plants, on the other hand, is legal in all 50 states. See state legalities here.
How Does CBD Work for Pain and Inflammation?
While research is still ongoing, studies show that CBD can help alleviate chronic pain and inflammation. Some animal studies have shown that the cannabinoid can reduce osteoarthritis-related joint inflammation (1). An earlier review from 2009 found that CBD can also be effective for reducing acute inflammation, which often occurs as a response to physical injury (2).
Cannabinoid research often looks at the way THC and CBD interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). THC binds to receptors in the ECS to produce its famous “high”. CBD doesn’t have an affinity for these receptors. It does, however, bind with other receptors in the body, including the vanillin (TRPV1) receptors. Studies show that CBD can reduce pain sensation due to how it interacts with TRPV1 receptors (3).
In addition to the ongoing research, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence. Many people who use oral or topical CBD products say that it provides relief from their pain and inflammation, helping to improve their quality of life.
What Types of CBD Products Are Available to Chiropractors?
Whether a patient is seeing a chiropractor for back pain or nerve pain, they may notice that CBD is becoming more and more popular in chiropractic treatment.
Just as several types of CBD products are available to purchase for home use, chiropractors may have a variety of options for treatment in their practice. Here’s a quick overview of some of the products that might be available:
- Chiropractic CBD pain cream/balms/lotion/etc. These are topical products that are applied on the skin, and the CBD they contain is absorbed into the body at a local level. This can provide targeted relief to the area of the body that is in pain or inflamed. Besides CBD, they often contain other ingredients known to help alleviate pain, including capsaicin, eucalyptus, menthol, and more.
- CBD oil. CBD oil is a versatile product. Patients can take it orally, which allows it to enter the bloodstream and reach receptors in the brain. They can also apply it directly to their skin for a more targeted approach such as back pain relief.
- CBD capsules. Capsules are taken orally. After the patient swallows them, the cannabinoids get processed through the liver before being released into the bloodstream. While it might take a little longer for a person to feel relief, the effects are generally longer-lasting and more widespread than topical administration.
How Are Chiropractors Using CBD in Their Practices?
Many chiropractors are incorporating CBD into their practices as part of their patients’ treatment plans. One way they might do this is by massaging a CBD cream into the skin during an appointment. The combination of the pressure from the massage and the CBD in the cream can help to increase blood flow while also alleviating pain and inflammation.
A chiropractor may also recommend CBD products for home use. For example, a patient seeing a chiropractor for neck pain may take home a CBD cream to get targeted relief between their regular appointments. Another patient may use a CBD balm for muscle aches after working out to reduce their pain and improve their overall performance.
Some chiropractors may also sell CBD products in their practice. While a person can purchase CBD products at almost any store these days, there are a couple of significant benefits to buying the products available in the office:
- Convenience. The products are right there. The patient doesn’t have to spend any time seeking out specific products.
- A trusted source. With recommendations from their trusted chiropractor, patients can feel confident that they’re receiving tested, safe, and effective products.
Muscle MX Products for Chiropractors
Muscle MX is a well-known and widely trusted brand, with their products being sold in over 2,000 locations in the U.S. and around the world. They have each batch of their products third-party tested to ensure potency and purity, and thousands of five-star reviews on their website to vouch for their effectiveness.
There are several Muscle MX products that chiropractors can use on their patients and sell in their practices. These products include:
- CBD balms like Activate heating balm and Recovery cooling balm. They contain CBD as well as additional ingredients for effective pain relief.
- Extra strength balms, which contain higher concentrations of CBD (along with additional pain-relieving ingredients).
- Full-spectrum CBD drops, which patients can take orally or use topically. Muscle MX has a CBD oil that comes in different flavors. They also offer a CBD oil that’s specially formulated to promote relaxation.
CBD and Chiropractic Care: A Perfect Pairing
Chiropractors give their patients a way to get relief from back, muscle, and joint pain that doesn’t involve invasive procedures or prescription medications. CBD can offer natural pain relief, sometimes helping patients reduce their reliance on pain medications. A combination of chiropractic adjustments and CBD products can help individuals dealing with chronic pain live better lives.
For those looking for relief from muscle or joint pain, visit Muscle MX today!
- Philpott, H. T., O’Brien, M., & McDougall, J. J. (2017). Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis. Pain, 158(12), 2442–2451. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001052
- Nagarkatti, P., Pandey, R., Rieder, S. A., Hegde, V. L., & Nagarkatti, M. (2009). Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs. Future medicinal chemistry, 1(7), 1333–1349. https://doi.org/10.4155/fmc.09.93
- How CBD Works. (n.d.). Project CBD. https://www.projectcbd.org/science/how-cbd-works